Nam Prik Ong – Traditional Chiang Mai pork & tomato dip
This dish is a specialty of North Thailand – a Chiang Mai menu can be incomplete with out it.
It is best described as a “Thai pork bolognaise”, though that short-changes each the Italian and the Thai cuisines in its generalisation.
It’s used just a few methods.
Most typical is a dip, the place it will get surrounded by wholesome greens, uncooked greens and normally some gentle crunchy pork crackling recognized domestically as ‘kap moo’.
The opposite use is for “kao soy nam kua” – the Chiang Rai and Laos model of rice noodle soup.
Like all rustic regional delicacies, the substances are available, both grown within the yard, or picked up inexpensively and bursting with goodness on the many road stalls that spring up mid afternoon in each ville round Asia.
The dish is straightforward to make, has few substances, and an superior flavour.
Strive it and impress your folks, friends or patrons.
- 200g / 1/2lb lean pork. (chop finely or mince it)
- 300g / 3/4lb contemporary ripe purple tomato
- 50g purple shallots (sure, you should utilize onion)
- 4-5 garlic cloves, contemporary
- 12 kaffir lime leaves – shredded finely
- salt to style
- 4-5 leaves of cilantro (flat leaf coriander)
- 1-2 every spring onion
- Peel and crush the garlic
- Chop shallots, pork, tomato,
- Pound dry chilli and garlic collectively
- Saute pork in a little bit oil
- Add the chilli and garlic
- Subsequent add shallot, tomato, and a little bit water for cooking so it would not dry or burn
- Season with salt to style, add a little bit MSG should you use it. Most kitchens in Thailand use it, however very sparingly
- Add the shredded kaffir lime leaf and cook dinner at a gradual simmer till the tomato breaks down.
- Prepare dinner till tomato is smooth and it appears like a really horny, barely spicy bolognaise sauce.
- It would most likely take round 20 to 30 minutes, so it pips the spaghetti sauce on preparation time, and has the added bonus of being simply as tasty, albeit in a spicy, redolent Southeast Asian manner.
Different makes use of?
Why not do some factor just like the Khao Soy Nam Kua?
This can be a common soup from Laos and North Thailand typically bought at road markets and hawker stalls for hungry passers by. Mainly it consists of Broth, thick rice noodles and Nam Prik Ong dollopped on prime.
For two individuals you will want:
- 1 litre Inventory or broth. (rooster inventory, pork inventory, or boiling water and a few pork or rooster inventory cubes)
- 300g (2 serves) Thick flat rice noodles (to be genuine. Your favorite noodles shall be nice)
- 2 heaped spoons Nam prik ong
- 1/Three cup Freshly lower coriander
- 1/Three cup Freshly chopped spring onion
- 2 tbsp Fried garlic (elective however the sheer style is an aphrodisiac)
- Blanch the noodles and whack them into two large serving bowls
- Ladle the broth over them
- Prime with nam prik ong
- Garnish with chopped coriander and spring onion
- Put some fried garlic excessive, and transport your self mentally to a road stall someplace close to the Mekong.
Or why not pan fry, grill or barbeque some fats, juicy contemporary prawns, and use the nam prik ong as a dressing, like considered one of my inventive Isaan cooks from my Thai restaurant used to do? Nice concept, superb textural and flavour distinction, and it really works a deal with. The shoppers adore it.
Have enjoyable along with your new recipe.
To see images, depart suggestions or ask questions, go to me at my weblog, chef-a-gogo