Jerry Butler was born in Sunflower, Mississippi in 1939. His household moved to Chicago in 1944. His curiosity in singing started by singing in church teams and with the Northern Jubilee Gospel Singers. Curtis Mayfield was additionally a member of that group.
Butler and Mayfield joined an R&B group, The Quails. However, in 1957, he and Mayfield would be a part of one other vocal group, The Roosters, with Sam Gooden and brothers, Arthur and Richard Brooks. In 1957, they modified their title to The Impressions and he would have just one main hit with them. Butler left the group in 1958 for a solo profession. Mayfield would proceed with The Impressions and have a string of hits.
He was dubbed “The Iceman” by Philadelphia disc jockey, Georgie Woods, who noticed Butler carry out there.
Butler additionally wrote many songs, together with co-writing “I’ve Been Loving You Too Lengthy” with Otis Redding
Jerry Butler would have a profitable solo profession, scoring thirty-nine hits on the Billboard Sizzling 100 charts. On Billboard’s R&B charts, he would have three primary hits.
Here is a take a look at Jerry Butler’s ten greatest pop hits in response to the Billboard High Pop Singles Charts.
1. Solely The Robust Survive – 1969 – Written by Butler and Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, his greatest pop music would go to primary on the R&B charts. Elvis Presley and Billy Paul would do cowl variations of this music.
2. Let it Be Me – 1964 – Right here, Jerry groups up with soul singer Betty Everett. Beforehand launched by the Everly Brothers in 1960, this music was first recorded as a French music in 1955 as “Je t’appartiens.”
3. He Will Break Your Coronary heart – 1960 – Written by Butler and Curtis Mayfield, Tony Orlando and Daybreak took this music to primary in 1975 and adjusted the title to “He Do not Love You (Like I Do).”
4. Moon River – 1961 – Though Butler’s model made it to quantity eleven on the pop charts, this Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer tune gained the Academy Award for Finest Unique Tune as sung by Audrey Hepburn within the 1961 film “Breakfast At Tiffany’s.” Andy Williams, by no means launched this music as a single, used it as his signature music.
5. For Your Treasured Love – 1958 – Butler’s solely hit with The Impressions was ranked #335 in Rolling Stone’s High 500 songs of all occasions in 2010. He would re-record this music in 1966, but it surely barely cracked the weekly High 100 charts.
6. Hey, West Union Man – 1968 – This was Butler’s second primary single on the Billboard’s R&B charts. It reached #16 on the pop charts.
7. By no means Give You Up – 1968 – From his “The Iceman Cometh” album, it was coated in 2010 by The Black Keys as “By no means Gonna Give You Up.”
8. Make It Straightforward On Your self – 1962 – Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, it was initially recorded by Dionne Warwick, however her label did not need to launch it. Butler listening to the observe, used the identical association as Warwick’s and Butler had his first solo hit. In 1965, The Walker Brothers additionally had a high 20 hit with it.
9. What’s The Use Of Breaking Up – 1969 – From his “Ice On Ice” album, the flip aspect of this high twenty hit was “Model New Me” which by no means cracked the High 100 charts, however was an enormous hit for Dusty Springfield.
10. Ain’t Understanding Mellow – 1971 – Jerry teamed up with artist Brenda Lee Looking forward to this soulful tune. Keen was the lead vocalist with Butler’s backup singers and recorded a number of songs collectively that charted, however none as profitable as this one.
At this time, Jerry Butler continues to carry out whereas serving as a Prepare dinner County Board Commissioner. He gained re-election in 2014. He at the moment lives in Chicago along with his spouse, Annette, who’s one among his backup singers. He has been host on PBS TV music specials that includes many Doo Wop and R&B teams.
In 1991, Jerry Butler was inducted into the Rock and Roll Corridor of Fame.